Whether you’re a student or corporation, the 2013 Symposium experience is an opportunity to connect and engage like never before. Please read on and learn about the new frontiers we’re proudest of this year…
Posts from the ‘reDiscover Symposium’ Category
Symposium 2013 will be unlike any year before. Even now we are working to establish relationships with the companies which we will bring to Chapel Hill next Fall. Join our LinkedIn group and connect with recruiters and professionals as if you had “officially connected” with them.
Registered Students have the opportunity to connect with recruiting companies on LinkedIn. Please visit http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=4881735&trk=hb_side_g to join.
This is just one of the ways we are working to make Symposium 2013 unlike any year before. Are you ready to reDiscover Symposium?
Charlotte, N.C.-based Belk, Inc. (www.belk.com) is the nation’s largest family owned and operated department store company with 301 Belk stores located in 16 Southern states. Founded on May 29, 1888 by William Henry Belk in Monroe, N.C., the company is in the third generation of Belk family leadership. Our mission is to satisfy the modern Southern lifestyle like no one else, so that our customers get the fashion they desire and the value they deserve. Our vision is for the modern Southern woman to count on Belk first – for her, for her family, for life.
Belk has evolved from one small bargain store to a company with hundreds of fashion stores and a growing digital business committed to delivering the best in Modern.Southern.Style. The company has followed its Southern customers from downtowns to the suburbs and now serves customers throughout the nation via belk.com. What has not changed, however, are Belk’s core values that continue to guide the business today. Belk’s commitment to investing in the company and its associates, customers and communities has never been stronger.
We focus on making Belk a fashion destination by providing modern assortments that cater to our customers’ Southern lifestyle and by delivering exclusive brands and styles that meet their shopping needs. Our exclusive Belk Southern Designer Showcase competition kicked off in 2011 to recognize fashion designers with roots in or ties to the South. The designs of the first 15 winners are now being offered in 44 Belk stores and on belk.com. Winners of the second designer showcase competition were announced on June 12 in Charlotte.
There have been many defining moments over Belk’s 125 years in business marked by its ability to innovate and change to meet the evolving needs of customers. Examples of key defining moments include:
- The early innovative business practices of company founders William Henry Belk and his brother Dr. John M. Belk included localized assortments, low prices, a cash only policy, and guaranteed customer satisfaction. Their commitment to community involvement and philanthropy provided a solid foundation of goodwill that perpetuated the growth of the company.
- The legal consolidation of 112 separate Belk store corporations into Belk, Inc. in 1998 enabled the company to consolidate and strengthen its organizational structure, implement improvements in efficiency and business processes, and position itself for long term growth.
- The company’s acquisition of Proffitt’s, McRae’s, and Parisian department stores in 2005 and 2006 solidified Belk’s market position in key Southern states adding nearly 90 stores within its 16-state footprint.
- In 2008, Belk relaunched an expanded eCommerce business, and in October 2010 rolled out a new corporate brand identity, Modern.Southern.Style.
- Starting in 2013, Belk committed $600 million in corporate investments over a five-year period for key strategic initiatives that include branding, customer service, store expansions and remodels, and technology.
The past fiscal year ending Feb. 2, 2013 was the first year of Belk’s five-year plan to become a $6 billion retailer, and the company is on track to achieve its objectives. Along with making significant investments in the company, Belk is focusing on the following key strategies in order to reach its goals:
- Being the retailer of choice in the South by delivering trend-right fashion aligned with our customers’ lifestyles, increasing market share by growing existing store sales, providing the right product assortment and fashion for each market, and pursuing growth opportunities in existing and new markets;
- Providing a compelling Omnichannel experience to customers that will enable us to serve them seamlessly and efficiently however they choose to shop;
- Being a market leader in customer loyalty by delivering service excellence with Southern hospitality, creating a personalized customer experience, being a partner in our communities, and emphasizing our uniqueness as a Southern and family-owned company; and
- Becoming an employer of choice by improving associate engagement, developing our people, strengthening our diversity and inclusion, and fostering a culture of innovation.
In addition to its focus on achieving its business objectives, Belk has a rich legacy of giving back to the communities that have made its success possible. Each year, Belk gives a portion of its pretax income back to the communities it serves. In fiscal year ending Jan. 31, 2013, the company and its associates, customers and vendors, donated more than $19 million to those communities.
For More Information: Belk Fact Sheet (July ’13)
Q: What are the services that ROI Revolution provides and what are its values?
A: Based in Raleigh, NC, ROI Revolution is an established & growing digital marketing agency serving ecommerce retailers. Founded in 2002, we have grown to 70 employees managing millions of dollars in online advertising for our clients. Our mission is to be the best in the world at managing measurable, ROI-driven online advertising for our clients. We maintain our edge by focusing on 5 core values:
1. Provide Fanatical Service: We respond quickly with deep understanding of our clients’ business and objectives.
2. Be Completely Transparent: We report the results – good and bad – with honesty and integrity.
3. Hire the Best: Our business is dependent on hiring “A Players” which is ensured through a rigorous interviewing and testing process.
4. Test & Optimize Constantly: We’re always striving for improvement and make decisions for our clients based on data.
5. Work Smarter: We use proprietary tools and encourage ongoing self-directed education so employees stay at the top of their game.
Q: What kind of students and skill sets does ROI Revolution look for in prospective interns and full-time hires? Also, why is ROI Revolution such a great place to work?
A: We are searching for smart, creative, and motivated team players who are looking for a career with tons of opportunity, flexibility, and a challenging (yet rewarding) work environment. Here is what some current employees say about us and why they love working at ROI Revolution:
· “The people at ROI Revolution really are experts and I have been so impressed with the knowledge and passion of everyone around me.”
· “[W]hat sealed the deal for me was the fact that ROI is a locally owned company that values its customers and staff above all else.”
· “The fact that the company builds human capital by providing educational resources stood out the most. Almost all of the opportunities I was interviewed for before ROI Revolution had sorely lacked this, and I knew coming out of college that I wasn’t finished learning.”
· “[ROI Revolution is] helping countless businesses to grow exponentially while staying committed to providing fanatical service, remaining fully transparent, and constantly testing and optimizing.”
At ROI Revolution, employees are provided with endless opportunities; as our company grows, so do our employees. And we promote based on merit, not time with the company. So it is absolutely possible, with lots of hard work and dedication, for an employee to move up the ranks in just a few years. Take Jenna Overby for example.
Jenna started at ROI as an Entry Level Internet Marketing Analyst (Associate) in November 2010, shortly after graduating with a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration (Marketing Concentration) and a Spanish Minor. Jenna impressed from the start; she was always up for a challenge and was able to obtain incredible results for her clients. Less than two years after being hired, Jenna was promoted to a mid-level management position with two direct reports. She continued to excel in her position (the data spoke for itself!) and proved more than capable of juggling her portfolio and managing her reports. Less than a year later, Jenna was promoted to a Team Lead. Today, Jenna manages a team of six, overseeing over $1.5 million in ad spend each month! How does Jenna feel about her time with ROI Revolution thus far? “I love the fact that I face a new challenge and learn more each day. Our industry is fast paced, and it’s a blast to keep up with it and to see results of hard work every day. Seeing results in the numbers as well as being rewarded for hard work is extremely fulfilling.”